September 5, 2012

Batch of Surveys


I honestly don't care if the picture once again doesn't have to do with anything I'm about to talk about. I just needed an excuse to use it. Despicable Me is one of the cutest movies ever. If I knew where the DVD was, I'd totally steal it from mom and make it mine forever.

Yesterday I printed out 111 copies of my survey for my research project in English. It had to be media related, so my topic is why people like (and dislike) shows such as "Teen Mom" and "16 & Pregnant." I'm focusing on specifically teenagers in the 13-18 age demographic. So I made Kate take one, then sent her with 50 surveys to school today. She got almost all of them done and will finish the batch tomorrow, but I looked through today's results. I organized them first by age, and sub-organized them by like and then dislike (as in the show). So far, generally both the likers and the dislikers think the show depicts how horrid the life of a teenage mother is. Some of the likers see those girls as role models. The dislikers all think that the show is stupid and pointless. What shocked me is that the dislikers almost all used words like "slut," "whore," and "bitch" to describe the girls on those shows. Outright called them that. Of course, that's a good thing, because it's an anonymous survey and I told them to be as honest as possible. The likers are split on how they view the girls. Some of the likers think the girls are irresponsible and stupid as well, while the other half of the likers actually think that they are great role models, hardworking, and cool. I'm excited to get the remaining surveys all done so I can start getting percentages and organizing the data so I can incorporate it into my essay. (Thanks so much, my helpers who gave/are giving these out for me at Centennial!)

In school today, I was very happy with the last 10 minutes of English class. Mr. Spivey, fed up with my classmates' illiteracy, decided to scold us/them. Over the weekend, we (actually only 2/3 of the class) emailed him our essay prompts so he could approve or deny them. I noticed early on that most of the class is very illiterate, and now Mr/ Spivey finally said something about it! He copied some terrible sentences sent to him via email and put them on the board, exactly as they were. He did not edit them and, of course, kept them anonymous. People were not capitalizing "I", were not ending their sentences with punctuation, and were messing up homophones. Nothing I said was up there, but I feel bad for the poor souls who saw their words on the computer screen today. Then again, it's their own fault for not looking over their work before sending it to our English teacher.

The week is already halfway over! Yay! I'm looking forward to the weekend simply because there is no school. I never do anything on the weekend, but I like them anyways. They're there so that I can do nothing for a change. Looking at the calendar, it looks like I have an orthodontist appointment tomorrow morning at 8:30. Two hours before I have to leave for class, which technically doesn't even start until 11:30 anyways. Good. Early, but not too early, and I will still have random free time in the morning before I leave for school. I guess I'll leave for the appointment at 8. Also, the new episode of Project Runway is tomorrow. Exciting!

No comments: