It was really rainy and stormy last night. I didn't know how to turn my windshield wipers today if I needed them. Dad woke up really early this morning and got them fixed (apparently they were broken) and was back right when I woke up. He showed me how to use them. Luckily, I didn't need them. I went to school. Again, parking was great in the morning.
I actually enjoyed English today. We read an article on why people in my generation (18-24) not only hate reading, but love to express how much they hate it. Then we had a discussion about why that is. I actually added in my opinion, and while Mr. Spivey totally agreed, it wasn't the answer. I said that people don't like it because they're told what to read. Like I say, if you don't like to read, you just haven't found the right book. Although it is important to read great works of literature like The Great Gatsby and all that, it's not our choice. And because we have to read these things against our free will, most kids come out not liking it. However, even though Mr. Spivey agreed, it wasn't the right answer because it doesn't apply to nonfiction. Why doesn't hardly anyone read nonfiction? They can read on any single subject that interests them. Do you like cars? Read a nonfiction book about cars. It was something to think about. No one could figure out why. He didn't really tell us, either. We have a homework assignment today that I'm actually not annoyed with. We have to read a 10 page article about writing well and then write a 250 word response about what we think. That's my favorite part of writing--including my own opinion. It's the easiest thing to talk about. And, of course, easiest to BS if necessary. And 250 words is just a good paragraph, so it's not a lot. I read the first 3 pages of the article in class, but then class ended, so I'll finish that up later today or tomorrow morning.
I spent my hourlong break after that in the back of the SU away from where all the socializing happens. I didn't really want anyone to come talk to me today. I ate a snack and read another chapter of The Silent Blade (again, all I had time to read without being interrupted in the middle of the next chapter which I didn't want to happen). Then I went to CPD. We went over the syllabus and then played "Person Bingo" or something like that. It's bingo, but basically it's got things like "has green eyes" and "is an only child" instead of numbers, and you go around and get people to sign off on yours for everything that they are. I'm getting 3 credits for this class? Okay, yay.
Then I went to hang out with mom again during my 3 hour break. We talked, went to the bank, and then got some food and watched TV at her house before I left. Not even 10 minutes after getting in the SU, a cop comes in. I can't hear him, but he was basically telling everyone to get out. So I did. I decided, since math was going to start soon, that I'd just wait outside the classroom. But as soon as I got there, everyone was evacuating the building. So I followed them and asked around, and then heard another student shout for everyone nearby to hear, "Campus is closed." I walked to the parking lot with some guy as we discussed what was happening. Hooray, no math today! That's great!
Tomorrow is psychology and math. I'll have to leave an hour early again (assuming campus is re-open by then, which it should be). I want to make sure I have time to find a parking spot again before class starts.

No comments:
Post a Comment